The city’s official kickoff to spring is back! Wednesday, March 30 marked the first Wednesday at the Square (WATS) concert of 2011 and featured a performance by The Radiators. Young Leadership Council (YLC), the country’s oldest independent young professionals’ organization, serves as host of the event, which serves as the organization’s largest fundraiser. Since its founding in 1986, the YLC has raised more than $25 million for the community.
The 2011 Wednesday at the Square concert schedule is listed below:
· April 6: Soul Rebels Brass Band / Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
· April 13: Coot / Kermit Ruffins
· April 20: Honey Island Swamp Band / Anders Osborne
· April 27: Irvin Mayfield & the Jazz Playhouse Revue
· May 4: Gal Holiday & the Honky Tonk Revue / Marcia Ball
· May 11: The Lee Boys / George Porter, Jr.
· May 18: Los Po-Boy-Citos / The Iguanas
· May 25: Navy Band New Orleans Full Steam Brass Band / Tab Benoit
· June 1: The Revivalists / Eric Lindell
· June 8: Marc Stone / Galactic
· June 15: Gravy / Cyril Neville and Monk Boudreaux
Because of the increasing popularity of the free concert series, the YLC is expanding the footprint of the concert grounds to include North Mae St., the area between 650 Poydras and Lafayette Square. The enlarged concert area will accommodate the growing crowd and will help to provide faster service. It will feature an Abita Beer tent, cocktail tables and more ticket booths. Also new this year will be extended sets by premier local performers on select days.
In addition to offering great music, YLC’s Wednesday at the Square features artists from around the city and across the region selling glass art, handmade jewelry, ceramics, photographs, t-shirts, paintings and more. A varied selection of food and beverages is available with proceeds from these sales benefitting the YLC’s many community projects that help to improve the quality of life in the region such as Power Ties, College Admissions Project, Seeds of Change and One Book One New Orleans. Food and beverage tickets are available on-site and online at www.wednesdayatthesquare.com.